A Belmont University student was diagnosed with mumps Thursday morning and returned home to recover, according to an email sent out by Belmont Health Services.
“Upon diagnosis, the residential student was immediately isolated and appropriate steps were taken to disinfect the student’s room,” the email stated. “Health Services will also be working with individuals who came in close contact of the affected student to offer a booster injection of the MMR.”
Mumps is a viral illness that spreads through saliva or mucus in the mouth and causes painful flu-like symptoms, the email stated.
“In the meantime, everyone at the University should take precautionary steps. This means frequent hand washing, avoiding unnecessary physical contact and not sharing eating utensils or food with other students,” the email read. “In addition, cough etiquette is important. Avoiding crowds whenever possible is a good idea at this time.”
Belmont Health Services was reached out to for comment but was unavailable.
This story will be updated as information becomes available.
UPDATE: Belmont works with Metro Health to prevent further infections
Greg Pillon, director of the Office of Communications at Belmont, confirmed the information sent to the community by Health Services.
“Our students’ health and safety is our top priority, and we’re partnering with Metro Health to do all we can to avoid further infections,” Pillon said in an email to the Vision.
In 2015-16, several outbreaks of mumps were reported, particularly from university campuses, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. As of Dec. 31, 2016, 46 states and the District of Columbia reported mumps infections in 5,311 people to the CDC.
Health Services will continue to inform the community as needed.
This update was written by Rebecca Arnold.
Enter your email address below to have important stories sent right to you!